Happy Birthday! That shout out is for Trinity and for me, because my birthday was last weekend. I have never witnessed someone popping out of a cake, but I love the idea. So why not make a card with someone (or some critter popping out of a cake!? Well, it took a little doing, but I did it!
Gah, is that not the cutest thing ever?! Who doesn’t want a unicorn popping out of their cake!? I sure do. And the rainbow patterns and sprinkles, it all compliments it so well.
So to make this, I used the new Best Wishes Stamp Set and the Best Wishes Add On Die Set. This allowed me to have that hinge opening at the top for the unicorn to pop out of. It also allowed me to color my cake frosting with a special look.
First I stamped the image and colored the plate and cake portion with Copics. Then I used distress inks (Peacock, Worn Lipstick and Squeezed Lemon) and my Blending Buddy to create a rainbow of frosting on white. Then I cut them out with the dies, placing them so I captured the colors I wanted. I mounted them and popped that top out. The intention of this die is that it lifts the whole cake layer, but by just using the small top round and a bit of the outline, I could just lift the top. Once I had that set, I adhered the lifted flap to this polka dot layer cut out using the Crafty Post die set. I set the rest of the cake aside temporarily.
Next, on the base I set the mechanism to allow me to move the unicorn up and down. I stamped, colored (with Copics) die cut and mounted the Unicorn from Let the Good Times Roll Stamp and Coordinating Die Set. In her hand, I added a flower.. Then, I came back in and added the cake using two layers of foam tape to make room for the unicorn to work.
I wanted to add some extra fun bits, so I added sprinkles to the cake using Carousel Cupcake Mix. I wanted a few butterflies too, so I stamped them, cut them and colored them. I mounted them with foam and then came back in and added sparkle pen to them and the unicorns hair. Hopefully you can see it in the picture below.
Lastly, I mounted all that on another layer of CS from Doodlebug Designs Inc (I also used this on the other layer) with a scalloped border. I mounted the other layer on top using foam tape, again to allow the mechanism to work. Then I put it all on a white base.
That’s all friends, hope you enjoyed it and thank you for visiting!