Under the Sea Birthday
Happy Saturday Friends! Here we are again, the best day of the week!
I have a very fun card for you today inspired by Mermaid Tail Cupcakes you see below(image source).
I would eat that up big time… after admiring it for quite some time. LOL. My daughter had a mermaid themed birthday one year and it was so fun. I love the them and kinda wish she would have one again. 😉 So here is my card for today:
Here is how I made it:
- I started by stamping the cupcake from the Sweet Surprise Stamp Set on white copic friendly paper.
- I made a mask for the bottom of the cupcake so I could color up the frosting. I used Broken China distress ink to add an initial layer of blue. Then I added some swirls using Mermaid Lagoon Distress ink and a stencil. I also added some shadowy areas with my Copics and highlights with my white gel pen.
- Next, I colored the cake layer of the cupcake with brown Copics.
- The wrapper is paper pieced using a scrap of Doodlebug Designs Inc. paper with bubbles on it. I made the candle out of the same paper and colored the flame on white.
- I cut everything out fussy cut style and assembled it, popping up the wrapper.
Mermaid How to:
- I stamped the mermaid from the Mermaid Wishes Stamp Set on Copic friendly paper.
- I drew in the scales and detail on the fin. Then I colored it with various Copics (you can see the full list on my blog).
- Initially, I colored the bikini top, but I decided these shells from the Under the Sea Embellishment Assortment for some flair.
- Next, I added highlights and fussy cut it out before mounting it on my cupcake.
For the Background:
- I used a Mermaid Scale stencil from Echo Park with Dusty Concord Distress Oxide to create the background.
- Next, I die cut some streamers with a die from my stash. I added them to the background and coupled them with more of the embellishments.
- Lastly, I mounted it on some Adriatic colored cardstock.
That’s all friends! I hope you enjoy this fun card, I certainly had fun making it. For a full list of supplies, feel free to visit my blog here.
Thank you so much for visiting! ~Katie
4 thoughts on “Under the Sea Birthday”
Katie this is Mermaizing! Love the cupcake inspiration!
oh wow, that card makes that cupcake!!!! wow stunning stunning
So creative. Keep them coming!
Thanks so much ladies!